Friday, October 30, 2009

Not even the undead are safe from the arrogance of the Winnipeg Free Press

The following is an exchange of emails between a Winnipeg man whose picture was used to illustrate a Free Press story about the local "Zombiewalk 2009", and the newspaper. A picture that accompanied the story was captioned "Some zombies got a little too much into character during walk downtown on Sunday night."

The story claimed "The surprise popularity of the event contributed to a "mob mentality" by some of the participants", according to the organizer, and went on to describe various acts of public disorder.

The man in the photo, clearly identifiable to those who know him, was smeared by the implication he was one of the troublemakers caught in the act. His work in the community with children and other adults, depends on his reputation as a reliable and conscientious person.

As you will read below, the reporter, city editor and publisher of the supposedly professional broadsheet thinks the normal rules of journalism - ie. get it right- don't apply to them.


They think that the concept of misrepresenting a photograph to help sell newspapers is acceptable. They claim their publication of a legally-staged photograph (actually, a photograph of a staged photograph being taken) embellished with a cutline that portrays the scene as the actions of a law-breaker, was the fault of the organizer of the event -- even though she was complaining about OTHER people, not the man in the picture.

Wrong place, wrong time, is the response. Blame someone who doesn't work here for us publishing that picture. The mean-spirited phone calls, the disrespect you now suffer because of our carelessness, because of our refusal to clear your name -- that's YOUR problem.

The newsroom that has fallen to the point of running "Our Mistake" almost daily on page 2, has hit tabloid territory a week early.

We begin with the email sent by a mother connected to the photograph, as one son is 'That Zombie Guy' and another was the driver of the vehicle in the picture. She did not get the courtesy of a response.


Perhaps if she was the mother of Bob Silver, someone on Mountain Avenue would have remembered, mothers are readers and subscribers too.

*****************

To:
webnews@freepress.mb.ca, copyeditor3@freepress.mb.ca


I would like to correct the inference that the zombie in your picture was doing damage to this car . The car was parked in a parking lot to watch the zombie walk and when the car owner/driver saw his brother he asked him to pose on his car for pictures . No damage or banging to this car occurred. I have spoken to both my sons ( driver and zombie ) to get the correct story.

thank-you
their mother
(xxxxx) please withhold name

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx
Sent: October-27-09 12:30 PM
To: Giroday, Gabrielle
Subject: Inaccurate FreePress story, A5, re: zombie walk

Gabrielle,

I attended the zombie walk, this past Sunday night, and did not witness
any "mob mentality", or excessive blocking of traffic. In fact, the
"disruption" was less than any concert at the MTS center, or Bomber
game at the Stadium. The picture shown on page A5 of today's newspaper is completely opposite of the story written. Why is there no interviews from the disgruntled people, or from any of the "zombies" attending the event, to back up your misleading point of view?

I am the zombie in that picture. I am on the hood of my brother's Jimmy,
while it was PARKED in front of the Mac's store on Osborne St. I asked
permission to get on his truck, and was acting like a zombie to
entertain my brother and his girlfriend. They are smiling and obviously
enjoying themselves.

I have received more than a few emails, text messages, and comments because of this story, all negative. Most people asking why I was disrupting traffic. My friends, family and aquaintances all love the picture, but then read the story and their opinion changes.

The only vehicles I saw being approached by zombies were being
encouraged, both by laughter, smiles, and/or pictures being taken of
them/ the event.

Why does the Free Press feel the need to generate negative stories out
of positive events? When was the last time Winnipeg had that many
people downtown on an autumn Sunday night? Think of all the extra
revenue that local businesses generated due to the increased foot
traffic. We need more events like this to liven up downtown, not less.

{That Zombie Guy}

--Original Message-----
From: "Giroday, Gabrielle"
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:47:12
To: xxxx
Subject: RE: Inaccurate FreePress story, A5, re: zombie walk

Hi xxxx--
Thanks for the note. It has some interesting insight that I am sure
others would like to read.
One note on reporting in general, I think I would want to point out that
as a reporter I don't take a point of view -- I quote others on the
information they provide to me. (in this case, the event's organizer and
the police).
I have two suggestions:
1) Would you like me to forward the letter to the letters page for
consideration?
They'd need a phone number for confirmation purposes. If you didn't want to send me your number to forward on with the info below, you could always send the letter straight to fpletter@freepress.mb.ca

2) I'd love to post your letter as a part of a blog post. People really
are super interested in the Zombie Walk and I think they'd really
appreciate your point of view. I've been fascinated by the amount of
stuff on the Internet about the walk. Would you be cool with that?
Take care and I hope you had a good night.
GG

From: xxxx
Sent: October-27-09 2:11 PM
To: Giroday, Gabrielle
Subject: Re: Inaccurate FreePress story, A5, re: zombie walk

Gabrielle,

Do you think this is a joke? Serious damage to my reputation was done in the pages of the newspaper NOT on your blog, and that is where this must be addressed. Only one side of the story was presented, and most unbiased journalists would try to find out both sides to a story. You used my picture to depict the story you presented. My face is clear, my brother's face is clear, and his girlfriend's face is clear. This is not a "letter to the editor" matter, I suggest that Mr. Cox or Ms. Goodhand should be contacting me immediately.

{"TZG}


From: "Giroday, Gabrielle"
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:19:37
To: xxxxx
Cc: Samyn,Paul
Subject: RE: Inaccurate FreePress story, A5, re: zombie walk

Hi xxxx --
It sounds like you're not interested in having your letter on the letters page or on the blog.
I've cc'ed my city editor Paul Samyn on this. If you'd like, you should talk to him at 697-7292.
I'm not clear what you're requesting, but he may be able to help you.
Cheers
GG


From: xxxx

Sent: October-28-09 2:12 PM
To: Samyn,Paul
Subject: Misrepresentation of myself and the zombie walk

Paul,

I'm assuming you have read the correspondance between Gabrielle and
myself, and am wondering why I have not received a response as yet.

Her story is the equivalent of somebody "seeing" an old woman being mugged in a park, a witness calling the cops, and reporting the incident, and leaving the story there. Now if she had talked to the old lady and discovered that it was a scene being acted out for a movie, there would have been no negative story.

In the case of the zombie walk, the cops were called due to people been
seen swarming vehicles, but if she had done her research, she would have
discovered that those cars were either part of the zombie walk, there to
record or enhance the night, or the zombies were encouraged by the
drivers.

In my case, the picture of me is being used to support the negative
slant to the story is ruining my reputation. I teach children karate, as
well as adults. What do you think they see me as now? I know this is not the only email Gabrielle has received regarding this subject. My brother, his girlfriend, and my mother are all offended
by this story and how we were used.

Why are there no interview of the participants, spectators, my brother,
or myself to explain the situation? Were there any reports of damage or
injuries due to the event? I'm going to assume not, because the writer
would have included that in her one sided story. I'm also sure that
there were positive comments from the organizer, yet those were not
included in the story either. Here's an idea, if the cops were called,
yet there was nobody there to complain/talk to the cops, then maybe
there was no incident and they were called as a result of lack of
information.

If Gabrielle had actually researched a complete story she would know that I was not jumping on stranger's cars which were on the road and acting with a "mob mentality".

My picture is now linked to this poor excuse of a story, and not in a positive way. It has been printed and distributed for the whole city to see, not to forget the online story as well. What is the Free Press
going to do about this?

{TZG}

PS. How can Gabrielle not see the reason I would be upset? It's obvious
to me, my family, friends, and all the people who have been talking
about it on the facebook event. I've had to explain myself too many
times to count.


-----Original Message-----
From: "Samyn,Paul"
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:32:17
To: xxxx
Cc: Giroday, Gabrielle
Subject: RE: Misrepresentation of myself and the zombie walk

XXXX:

With the greatest of respect, if you have a problem with how the zombie walk was covered, I suggest you speak to Sarah Reed who was the event's organizer.

It was Reed who talked about the need for more police presence and who
was critical of ``unfortunate shenanigans.'' She also talked about
participants not respecting the rules of the road.

Regardless of whether the cars were or weren't part of the zombie walk,
a strict interpretation of the Highway Traffic Act will remind you that pedestrians climbing on cars is not normally seen by the public or police as a positive event.

Moreover, the fact remains that you were in a public place and your
picture was taken as part of that event.
I think most of our readers who saw the pictures in the paper or on our website will take the zombie
walk, including your role in it, in the way in which it was intended --
a fun and slightly out-there bit of late October nocturnal fun. I am
sure your reputation will survive whatever questions might come your way as unlike zombies, this controversy will soon die.

Sincerely,

Paul Samyn
City Editor

From: XXXX
Sent: October-29-09 2:11 PM
To: Cox, Bob
Subject: Fw: Misrepresentation of myself and the zombie walk

Hello,

A picture of me has been used out of context to support a point of view in one of the Free Press' stories. I was on the hood of a parked car on private property, not on the city's roads. I was not banging on a stranger's vehicle, nor was I displaying a "mob mentality". However, my picture is being used to support this story. I have received responses to this story, and those that have read the article have asked why I was banging on vehicles and not respecting the rules of the road or other peoples property.

I have tried to explain my frustration to the story writer as well as
her editor. I was not impressed by either response. Is this the
proffesionalism and concern your staff displays common to your readers or the people it mis-uses when they voice a concern?
Is there a way to break the link that I now have to this story?

Thank you for your time,

XXXX

From: "Cox, Bob"
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:47:40
To: XXXX
Subject: RE: Misrepresentation of myself and the zombie walk

Dear sir:

The Free Press will not be taking any further action regarding this story. Our photographer was standing on a public sidewalk when he took this photo, depicting you on a car hood in a parking lot in full view of
hundreds of other walkers. The organizer of the walk expressed concerns about the activities of some participants who did not observe proper behaviour during the event. If you have concerns about the organizer's remarks, then I would suggest that you contact her. As with all readers, you are welcome to write a letter to the editor to express your opinion.

Bob Cox
Publisher
Winnipeg Free Press

*********************
We had TZG on the air yesterday. Here is a sampling of the reaction of Kick-FM listeners to his story and to the way the Free Press dismissed his complaint:

"I can only presume that the Free Press assumes we are all dead and ignorant of their Ridiculous journalism. I've had enough...just finished canceling my subscription while listening to the show. Now I am really dead to them."

"I never really understood how broken the freep is, until now."

"He did write a letter - to the editor's boss! If Cox thinks it's the editors call, why did he answer for Margo Goodhand and decide the paper would do nothing to correct their mistake?"

(Comments made to our producer Danielle): "Freep starting to sound like tabloid... As well, photograph been blown out of proportion, tabloid-style. Quality and integrity being lost by Free Press. How many pics have they incorrectly represented, the listener asks."
***************

Today we have a special start time of 3.30 PM to accomodate our special interview guests, Adam West and Julie Newmar, who are in town for Central Canada Comic Con; plus This Week in History with Professor Levinski, Dan Lett's analysis of Premier Selinger's Hydro minefield, and more of your calls.