Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Winnipeg community speaks out as Red River College cover-up collapses

Radio listeners and blog readers react to our investigation into how Red River College tried control community access to Kick-Fm to placate Winnipeg Free Press editor Margo Goodhand and unelected NDP Premier Greg Selinger:

From:
To: Chair, Red River College Board of Governors

bfeller@mymts.net

Good Afternoon Ms. Feller,

I have been a long-time supporter of Marty Gold and The Great Canadian Talk Show on Kick-FM at RRC. I was extremely disappointed when his show was taken off of the air. I was even more disgusted with the deceitful and illegal way it was done. Those responsible not only harmed his reputation, but also his means of income.

I am a RRC graduate from 2007 and I am absolutely appalled that something like this could even happen from the college that I went to. It's definitely not the ethics that was instilled to us students when I attended.

I am under the impression that there is an investigation into this matter. I would like to insist that there be a transparent and proper investigation. Would you be able to provide me any details on how this investigation will be proceeding? Any information would be extremely helpful.

I feel that as a taxpayer who funds the college, I have a right to know.

The Code of Ethics has been violated several times over by many top officials and they must be held accountable for what they have done to the community, the volunteers of Kick-FM, the College, and the radio station. I'm so sick of all of these ridiculous cover-ups, lies, and excuses and it's time that the College takes responsibility.

I'm hoping that you of all people will do the right thing here. I've already asked many of those involved in this scam to just admit their mistakes, apologize, and bring Marty back to the radio station and reinstate his talk-show.

Unfortunately, I have not heard one single response from them and I'm just praying that there is somewhere there who has the values and morals that I was taught as a student at RRC.

Please take this seriously Ms. Feller. Thanks for your time,

Mark Pilon
RRC Grad 2007

*********************

Wow I just read all of these posts (and even with the deleted posts it was quite the interaction). I thought I would post my opinion.

Keep in mind I have zero connection to any radio station, literary roles, political groups or any public role, I am just a listener. I listened to Marty Gold's show every day on my drive home.

I am the farthest thing from a "right winger" and my views were often different from what Mr. Gold discussed. However , I loved that there was a show that was on at a consistent time that tackled the hot topics of our city. I felt like I had a better understanding on what was going on at city hall and I feel that nothing on the radio even comes close to discussing these topics.

I was entertained by Mr. Gold's crescendos when he hit a topic he was passionate about (my 2 year old daughter called him the "angry man") and even if I didn't agree with a point of view, I agreed with someone who was passionate about exposing the truth.

I am so disappointed that there is not a consistent show on that station now and I honestly feel like my brain cells are dying with some of the drivel I hear now (on Musings on Politics the host said that people who have their kids in Daycare are lazy parents - this coming from someone who was basing his opinion on the fact his Mum stayed home when he was young and he has no children himself).

Although I can appreciate the student programming I feel like some of these shows are trying to be like Mr.Gold's show but lack the political knowledge or life experience to back their points. I would love for this show to return to the air.

This coming from a Liberal, Vegetarian, Working Mum and University Graduate.

Laurie

************


Hi:
I started listening to you shortly before you got dumped by RRCC. :-(

I've tried listening to "Cloutier" but in the 5 mins/hour that CJOB doesn't play commercials, he seems to be trying to "out-CBC" CBC; Adler is a rhetorician & not a smart one. CBC has fewer commercials (advertising their programs & anything unlikely to make a profit) but their news is so repetitive & outside my frame of reference, I listen sparingly for news. Anna Maria Tremonti whom I catch infreqently, seems one-of-the-few who knows how to interview.

So ... assuming my tastes in talk-radio are not unique in this city (wouldn't be surprised if they are), why don't you get back on the air? There must be a commercial station in this city who could use an audience-boost, "especially" with at least one election coming this year.

Regards, D. O.

******************

Great job Marty, Will RRC will call on Kick Fm to repay all their
debt and force it to close down / out of business. Stef has got to
resign !!!!

L.

*************

Marty,

This cover-up is worse than anyone imagined. You should do a poll on who forged the letter on photocopied Kick stationary about a decision being made to reject your appeal when there hadn't been a vote yet. And these people have the nerve to say they are suitable to educate student journalists !

A.Y.

****************



"However,
allowing 'outsiders' will leave us open to criticism and we may have to hang our hats on the 4-6 timeslot thing."

The problem for students with the 4-6 (or at least 4-5) is that classes generally end at 4, 4:30, or 5, with some, such as Live At Five ending after 6pm. Not to mention special assignments.

(Former RRC student)

***************************

I don't care if Graham Thompson got his MBA from Scotland on-line, What I do care about is that he is in a position where he is supposed to be a model citizen and he never once thought to say to Cathy Rushton, I am not comfortable participating in character assasination etc. He never flinched, he said he felt a bit stupid at one point and at another said it was kind of fun.

Certainly an insight into the model citizens in Winnipeg, the Margo Goodhands, Bob Cox'es, Stephanie Forsyths, Cathy Rushton (she is king pin in this story) not to mention Graham Thompson and David Weibe. Corruption in small places. Moral Erosion.

K.

***************
To contact us with your comments or for more information email martygoldlive@gmail.com.

And on Friday April 1st, a special feature !