Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fast notes: Jericho replay; Thanks to the St B Riels; Anniversary show Nov. 20th

1) The replay of our much-talked about interview with Chris Jericho is today, Sunday, at 8 PM Central Time.

Exclusive comments from Chris about his earliest days in the local ring wars with the likes of Caveman Broda, Brian Jewel, Bulldog Brown, Mike Lozanski and more. No other interviewer can discuss his meanderings across the continent and the characters whose path Jericho crossed better than myself, since we crossed paths his very first day before I went down the road to Calgary, Vancouver, SoCal and Mexico about 2 years before he did. He said he wanted to do a part two of our discussion sometime this week -- and we are working on it !

Chris wil be at McNally-Robinson at Grant Park Mall on Thursday at 8 PM, to sign his book, A Lion's Tale, Around the World in Spandex.

2) I want to pay a special thanks to the St Boniface Riels and owner Larry Frykas for asking me to make the keynote address at their fundraising dinner this past Thursday.


It was impossible to follow coach Brian Smiley at the lecturn but I did and managed to ellicit some laughs as I compared the indignation of the local media over Smiley's no-punches-landed skirmish with the Stonewall Jets, to the Red Army-clobbering rescue of a 'saluting' Alan Eagleson by Pete Mahovlich and Team Canada 72'. It was a similar salute that presaged the skirmish last week, but alas the "Al Eagelson" is not part of modern sports dictionaries. So I felt compelled to explain it to the younger attendees, and also tell the story of how I bluffed my way into Maple Leaf Gardens at age 14 to meet Johnny Bower. I had a great time, the meal was delicious, the team is learning to win, and Mrs. Smiley does indeed, exist in the flesh.

3) On Tuesday November 20th, The Great Canadian Talk Show will celebrate out first year on the air with 92.9 Kick-FM.


Please let me know, which story we have dissected or broken in the past year has been your favorite and why. (And favorite interview and why too) Talk@kick.fm

Thanks for visiting the TGCTS blog and supporting the show !

Marty