Monday, September 20, 2010

Lazarenko announces retirement, endorses Katz

Statement from Councillor Harry Lazarenko:

“It is with many fond memories of dedicated public service, in which today I am announcing I will not be running in the upcoming civic election. I have had the tremendous privilege of representing the citizens of Winnipeg and Mynarski for over 30 years and have been proud to work on their priorities.

I wish to express my sincerest thanks to all my friends, colleagues, and family who have offered me such strong support over last few months during my illness. I want to express how difficult a decision it was for me to vacate the position I have held for so long , but it is time that I put my health and family ahead of politics and enjoy time with my loved ones, especially my wife Judy, who has always been very supportive of my choices.

I have to express my gratitude to Chris Hurley who has served not only as an exemplary Executive Assistant to me for many years, but has also worked tirelessly to serve the citizens of Mynarski as well.

I also want to express my thanks to Mayor Sam Katz for his support and friendship over the last 6 years, and wish him the very best in the upcoming election. Winnipeg needs to be a safer City, and I know Sam won’t stop until he gets the job done.”