In the new year, my columns in the Winnipeg Sun will be augmented by appearances with Shadoe Davis on 92Citi-FM, which I am tempted to call Back to the Future.
One of the reasons for the immediate acceptance of The Great Canadian Talk Show 4 years ago, was that Winnipeggers had already heard our wry commentaries and civic election coverage on Citi's top-rated drive show in special interview segments with Cosmo. (I want to thank Cosmo for helping open that door. When listeners hit the scan button cause you were stopping down, they heard a voice they already knew would make them laugh and make them think.)
* AS well, later in January, I will again be hosting Classic Canadian Wrestling, a fast-paced family show that gets kids screaming and parents laughing. By the end of the card we even manage to tell kids that bullying ain't cool. The last event in Gilbert Park was awesome and the promotion would be glad to work with your community too. Internationally-traveled veteran Manitoba grapplers with some of the modern flyers mixed in, a professional performance of the tradition of TV wrestling.
* And we are considering producing another Live Event Podcast with a studio audience. If you would be interested in attending and seeing the inside of the cancelation cover-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
^^^ OnLine Early Next Year, PART TWO of our Live Event Podcast, and why the "official story" didn't pass the sniff test. The crowd reaction tells who Winnipeg believe once the whole story behind how censorship of the voices of the community was dictated was heard and shown.
You will hear the emails and news stories of denials and diversions. The reason why pressure is mounting on those involved is from an audience outraged that their opinions did not matter and that Freedom of Expression was violated by educators and broadcasters.
TGCTS proved, in front of a live audience able to ask questions and debate among themselves, that our civic election coverage was backed up on the record, by eyewitnesses who were ignored by mainstream media reporters and inexplicably, Winnipeg electoral officials, when they came forward regarding statements from NDP candidate Ross Eadie of illegal civic campaign financing.
** A guide to the blog posts of the last year, Part One: **
1) We must begin with our tribute to my mentor and trainer in journalism, community activism, and the art of telling the news story, Yoram Hamizrachi
2) Our News Story of the Year, the interview with Miss Whistle that shocked Hydro and brought some balance and truth to the entire Manitoba Hydro/Whistleblower Act debacle
NEW! AUDIO of HYDRO WHISTLEBLOWER ; plus listener...
3) No one else called out the Vancouver Olympic organizers for letting Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger get a Torch run instead of a deserving average citizen just because his predecessor Gary Doer was pals with Ah-nold, Spirited Kenny discovered.
"(Selinger's) Olympic run on January 6th received unquestioning fawning attention from the local mainstream media, which ignored Vanoc's prohibition against politicians taking part for ethical reasons, even as they covered the ethics of reporters participating in the relay....
Kenny then put Vanoc on the spot:
"Why was the selection of Gary Doer to run with the torch, passed to Greg Selinger?
It would appear that Greg Selinger was award the honour of running with the torch because of his elected office that he held.
This is a complete contradiction to the VANOC rules for torchbearers."
Vanoc immediately passed the buck despite having admitted they held final approval :
" Hello Ken, please be advised that Canwest made this selection regarding Greg Selinger. You can contact them directly:
John D Douglas MBA
Senior Vice President, Public Affairs
Canwest Global Communications Corp."
Only TGCTS examined the links between Selinger's improper Olympic Torch run, the Aspers, the boondoggle Stadium and the bloated Human Rights Museum.
Speaking of the Museum, what about that graveyard they built over the top of?
4) At the end of February, we showed the versatility and relevance of the alternative media as the people who our listeners, commented on issues and stories the MSM generally did not cover or understand - as some very pointed emails showed, they were beginning show the meaning of YOU HAVE THE POWER
Emails from doctors about Dr Brian Postl, the WRHA, and NDP health care failures; plus Pat Martin vs Christians, smelly downtown, city snow plowing, Edumacation Minister Peter Bjornson, Goldeyes ballpark being skipped over by a "study" of downtown with skewed recommendions, and more:
5) Other provincial matters we covered:
-- CFS dysfunction risks kids lives and the Childrens' Advocate was in turmoil, while Selinger and Minister Gord huff and puff'd and avoided the truth:
"In Question Period, the opposition cited concerns about supports for social workers handling 8600 files and for foster parents, insisting Selinger call an emergency public commitee meeting to allow MLA's to ask questions of Kocsic.
Unreported by the mainstream media, 15 consecutive times Selinger side-stepped the demand - until the very next day, when government House leader Bill Blaikie announced that Kocsis, with provincial ombudsman Irene Hamilton and Manitoba auditor Carol Bellringer have agreed to appear before MLA's. Macintosh also smugly announced a new bill would pass within a week, to compel an annual appearance by the CA on Broadway, which had suddenly become a good idea, and an NDP one, at that. "
-- We illustrated the difference between the alt-media covering a story and the MSM sleepwalking, when we caught Manitoba Public Insurance playing loose with the facts about donating a Million dollar building, the second part has great comments from Free Press readers:
Exclusive: Insider organization scores $1 Million...
Free Press reports on half the MPI donation story
6) Turning to civic affairs, MPI givith, but the city almost taketh away. We gave voice to Martin Landy and Elmwood residents ignored by the big newsrooms,
and with added citizen reporting revealed the Disraeli Bridge project had exposed the two-faced nature of public consultation
as the top City spinner took a hike
and the City finally backed down:
Exclusive: Eliminator-RC saved from Disreaeli expr..
How about the time the City held a "public consultation" and paid Red River College $$$ but saw NO ONE FROM THE PUBLIC show up?
Next blog post: part 2 of the TGCTS stories of 2010 including
- our pals at the Parking Authority, and how the ripped-off residents of winnipeg stood up to the unaccountable bullies
- Kim the Traffic Reporters' unprecedented legwork testing the fancy technology of new fangled pay stations and parking tickets
- the abuses of Assiniboine, Sherbrook, Berry St, and River Heights by the bike lobby and their friends inside city hall, and how the voters sent a message instead of accepting "Kiss Your Parking Spot Goodbye"
- actual bike counts, a look inside the lobbyists handbook, and the root of the cycling fanatic's sense of entitlement
- evidence of what city hall's "professionals" claim there is no proof of - the plan of the Friends of Upper Fort Garry to grab a block of Assiniboine Avenue and the bike lane was step one
- west end garbage, remembering Canada's Greatest Athlete Gene Kiniski, and more !
For our new readers:
AFTER THE CENSORS AT RED RIVER COLLEGE BREACHED THE CRTC RULES TO SILENCE The Great Canadian Talk Show, these the stories you want to read:
The official story starts wobbling within 48 hours:
The students tell the truth about how they learned valuable skills and got course credit -- and how the conduct of the College officials concerns them:
Free Press editor Margo Goodhand issues a denial in The National Post but her role is exposed by by RRC dean of Business Graham Thomson
Free Press fibs to the National Post; Margo knows ...
Margo's new bff Stephanie Forsyth faced some controversy in British Columbia that the Free Press didn't tell readers about, you say?
and "I'm not a micro-manager" Forsyth hears from an outraged alumnus about the value of freedom of speech TGCTS-style
EXCLUSIVE: Red River College social work students barred from key job placements due to RRC dishonesty ...
and as it turned out,
Discovered: Previous failed attempt to intimidate Red River College into silencing TGCTS...
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO WORKED WITH, SPONSORED, WAS INTERVIEWED, EMAILED, CALLED INTO, TEXTED, OR LEFT A BROWN ENVELOPE FOR THE GREAT CANADIAN TALK SHOW ON 92.9 KICK-FM FROM 2006 TO 2010.
SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL THE BLOGGERS, JOURNALISTS, CANDIDATES, ANALYSTS, PUNDITS, AND OF COURSE, FRANK THE ITALIAN BARBER :)
WE HAVE LOTS OF NEW DOCUMENTS THAT YOU WILL ALL WANT TO SEE AND ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT, COMING OUT IN 2011. SOME OF THOSE INVOLVED HAD SOME THINGS TO SAY ABOUT YOU -- OUR LISTENERS -- AS WELL AS ABOUT US.
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!