Thursday, April 30, 2009

Harry Lehotsky's health care system concerns are still valid today

Today is the anniversary of a very significant piece of first-person journalism in Winnipeg.

It was about the Manitoba health care system.

It was pointedly critical of the health care mandarins and their "system".

It was about wait times - waiting for a family doctors' appointment, waiting in a crowded, understaffed Urgent Care room, waiting for radiological tests. It was about the choice between paying out of pocket to leave the province to speed up the diagnosis -- or being in constant pain.

It was about a man who didn't yet realize, he was already dying of terminal cancer.

It was about the beginning of the end, of the life of Rev. Harry Lehotsky.

His column was in the Winnipeg Sun, 3 years ago today.
There does not appear to be a link available to the column. In the public interest, and in his memory, the April 30, 2006 column of Harry Lehotsky is being reprinted below.

In light of last weeks wait time report results, the horror stories of Brian Sinclair, Gail Glesby, the woman mis-carrying and forced to speed from the Concordia to Grace Hospital one night to save her own life, and other cases, Lehotsky's experience and observations are very relevant today- and raise a lot of questions. Starting with, how much better off are we after 3 years of 'planful transparent' leadership by the health ministry, WRHA, and their expert consultants?

Sun, April 30, 2006
Free medicare nice, if you can get it
By Harry Lehotsky


Recently, I've been getting urged to go back to the US.

I'm not talking about the recalcitrant drug dealers or social worker mafia that would love to see me leave. I take their disapproval as a validation of my message.


The people encouraging me to leave are people on both sides of the border who care for my well-being.
Several months ago I felt some occasional upper abdominal discomfort. About two months ago it turned into occasional abdominal pain. About two weeks ago it was a steady pain that sometimes got so severe I couldn't stand for long.


Figure it'll blow over

I'm the type of guy who tends to figure things will blow over. Usually aches and pains go away by themselves with a little rest or attention to diet or over-the-counter meds. But this time it wasn't going away. I've had heartburn often enough to know this was different.

I tried to make an appointment with my family physician and was told I'd likely have to wait months -- even after saying I was in pain. My doc is a great person and excellent physician. Maybe that's precisely why he's booked so well in advance and so far beyond capacity.

Someone in his office suggested I go to Urgent Care. I stopped by there one day and saw roughly 20 people in the waiting room with one physician on duty.


After hearing my wait could be over 12 hours, I left. I thought I'll wait until I can be treated a little more like an urgent case.

Finally, on Easter Saturday, the pain was so bad I returned. After six hours the doctor said he wasn't sure what was causing the pain. I would have to be referred for further tests. The preference was to assume it's an ulcer until we knew different. He prescribed some strong antacids. He also told me I would be getting an appointment for a barium X-ray and an appointment with a gastroenterologist.


He added, "If you see blood, however, come back right away."

I was astounded when informed my first appointment with a gastroenterologist would be in November.


That's not the scope, that's just a first visit with the doctor!

I got angry when I got a letter saying my barium X-ray wouldn't be until September.

Five months for a general diagnostic X-ray? Seven months for a consultation to schedule a gastroscope?
The prospect of waiting in pain didn't excite me.

I went to another doctor. She prescribed a proton pump inhibitor that wasn't covered by my insurance.

I started thinking,
"What if -- in five to seven months -- I find out it wasn't an ulcer?

Whatever it was would certainly have gotten much worse -- perhaps even inoperable by that point.

For now, I'll resist paranoia. I'm still assuming I'll get better. I don't want to change my schedule, both because there's too much to do and it keeps my mind occupied on positive things.

Even when the pain is bad, I know others have it worse. If it's just an ulcer, I know people who suffer daily with more serious problems.

Friends and family started finding out about my situation. Responses mirrored my own feelings -- everything from shock to disgust that I was paying for medical care not available to me.

One by one, they suggested, "Go to the States. You can get in quicker there for the tests."

Part of me wants to stay and fight for what I've paid for here. But the pain and the concern of others may override any "point" I want to make with the system.

Yesterday, a pastor friend of mine was visiting from North Dakota. Hearing my plight, he commented, "I know a great gastroenterologist. I'll give him a call." A short while later, I was talking to a doctor in North Dakota. After reviewing my symptoms and the schedule he said might be able to take me next week for both a gastroscope and a CAT scan, just in case the scope isn't conclusive.

Now I'm wondering if Manitoba Health will cover any of the cost. Cynicism would suggest that if they're delaying getting the most important diagnostic tests, they'll likely try to duck paying any of the bill if I go south.

What am I paying for?

So what exactly am I paying for here?

As I write this, I haven't eaten a thing for three days. Before that, I ate just one or two small meals a day. Apart from the fact I don't really feel hungry, it seems to hurt less when I don't eat.

While the WRHA bureaucracy swallows more and more resources, people wait longer and longer for even basic diagnostic tests that could reduce long-term costs as problems fester during long delays.

Maybe I'll become another poster child for NDP health care "improvements."


Seven years ago they promised to end hallway medicine in six months.

Not only has that not happened, but now it's worse.

It seems part of this government's strategy on getting people out of hospital hallways is to leave them on the street in pain.

Rev. Harry Lehotsky is a Sunday Sun columnist and a founding member of New Life Ministries on Maryland Street.

**************

Jim Jaworski of TruWinnipeg.org for ysterday's interview explaining his scepticism of Coun. Russ Wyatt's 'trolley folly', and to CTV's Kelly Dehn for updating the feasability of a STARS emergency helicopter in Winnipeg. To comment about the following stories we'll be covering today, email talk@kick.fm .

- public backlash against AMC Chief Ron Evan's reaction to the Pope's apology;
- reports of a FN community opposing the AMC's Governance House plan;
- the inadequate sentences handed down against two men who drunkenly and viciously assaulted peace officers but were not convicted of it;
- the YCJA compromising the ability of a judge to keep a murderous young offender locked up;
- what the public really thinks about the renewal plan for Central Park;
- City Councillors expenses: Who is Spending on What ??
- and a Stanley Cup playoff update brought to you by Harv-Al Sportswear, 1330 Main St., phone 586-8036 http://www.directory51.com/profile/Harv-Al-Sportswear-Ltd-c24669.html

upcoming episodes:
Friday at 4.25 PM- Colin Craig of the Taxpayers Federation about having to file a Freedom of Information request to get the council expense accounts records, and what his organization thinks about some of the things we are paying for;

Sunday at 7 PM - Replays of 5 recent episodes of TGCTS, till 2.30 AM

Monday at 5.20 PM- Frank the Italian Barber opines on the Stanley Cup semi-finals

Tuesday at 4.10 PM - Councillor Jeff Browaty with the Disraeli update, 311 developments, construction season and speed traps, and dissatisfaction with the Winnipeg Parking Authority.

Wed at 4.10 - Kelly Dehn of CTV with his Crimewatch Report, and at 5.15 Soccer Spotlight with Rocky Moudgill of the Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association.