WRHA Lowballed Dirty Needle Pick Ups By 400% Last Year; Rate Up 1200% In Last 9 Months
They felt their worries about the danger to their families and pets posed by users dropping their meth needles was being not just ignored, but suppressed. It was polluting their streets, parks and backlanes, homes, parking lots, businesses, rental properties -and sometimes on playgrounds, too - and those voters last fall felt their urgency was being ignored by city councilors and MLA's.
They couldn't make heads or tails out about the role and responsibilities of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, especially since the agency, via field programs, "partners", and clinics, was handing out literally, as many needles as (aspiring?) drug addicts asked for.
|(Left) James Favel, Executive Director of the Bear Clan|
The WRHA relied on citations about needle return rates, as well as measuring the discarded needles being picked up against their total sharp distribution, which is now well over 2 million.
* This information was provided to assure me nothing was amiss with their programs in 2018.
* Their programs were based on 2 US studies - that were concluded before 2001.
Consider the following 'Math With Marty' equation:
A) WRHA email October 1, 2018:
Discarded needle numbers are estimated to be between 5,000-10,000 per year currently in Winnipeg (estimated from Street Connections calls for pick up, Bear Clan and other pick up program reports)."
B) CTV Winnipeg March 19, 2019
C) July 25 2019 Global Winnipeg interview with the Bear Clan:
|By March, the escalation of street needles was obvious; BUT facing what they learned by July, Bear Clan probably wishes it was going to be only 60,000 pick ups, they're facing double that. That's why they're fed up.|
- The "10,000" high-end estimate was actually 40,000 used needles, last year (at least).
- That 10,000 needles estimated last year will be 120,000 needles estimated, this year.
- Winnipeg has a 1200% increase from the estimate of used needles being picked up made 9 months ago.
*************** ************* ****
How in the blue hell did the WRHA give an estimate about carelessly discarded needles for last year that was at least 400% out of whack?
If the WRHA screwed up this bad on estimating how many needles were ending up on our streets, what else did they 'miscalculate'? How many users?
I was even told I should file a Freedom of Information request to get any action on the unanswered questions. This week, using only the information and data they provided me without a FIPPA, I'm going to walk thru the evidence.
|A month after claiming only 10,000 needles were being dumped onto Winnipeg streets and properties, the WRHA newsletter touted the success of their "harm reduction" strategy of giving out free needles|
"Harm reduction programs often recover as many needles as they distribute, which means fewer used needles discarded in the community."
2019 - Bear Clan says the trajectory is at 120,000.
A 1200% increase in estimates in only 9 months.
It's no wonder the Bear Clan are fed up.
* Paging Dr. Brain Postl. Math is hard. *
To find links and watch my 3 part video interview about the operation of Morberg House, a residential meth treatment program in Winnipeg, click this link.
- A $50 DONATION funds basic costs for equipment, internet, parking and gas, etc. and helps keep the lights on
- MORE reporting on town halls
- MORE asking direct questions of policy and decision makers
- MORE issues important to you - like dirty needles all over the place - get put on the table
Email TGCTS1@gmail.com for other payment options including etransfer or a personal visit for pick up. The story ideas that come from those visits are very integral to our work.